Just when we thought we were safely enough into the 21st century that this sort of commentary was long in the grave, TV Minister Pat Robertson brought us back to the 1950s with a statement about “cheating” that made my jaw drop! He should be old enough to know better, but may be so old he just doesn’t give a crap what he says on his Christian Broadcast Network.
Pat Robertson, the network’s 83-year-old founder, was not “condoning” adultery when he answered a viewer’s question on “The 700 Club” this week, the network said (good save and spin, guys, but he said all of it).
The viewer said she was having difficulty forgiving her husband for cheating. Robertson said the “secret” was to “stop talking about the cheating. He cheated on you. Well, he’s a man. OK.”
Robertson went on to suggest the woman focus on why she had married her husband and whether he provided for her needs and those of their children, adding, “Is he handsome? Start focusing on these things and essentially fall in love all over again.”
“Males have a tendency to wander a little bit. And what you want to do is make a home so wonderful he doesn’t want to wander.”
To make matters worse, the female guest on the CNN spot on this actually said, “Men’s sexuality is, kinda, well….. they need a little pipe cleaning now and then…..”
Other past bizarre statements from Pat Robertson include demanding the U.S. C.I.A. assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, blaming the 2010 earthquake in Haiti that left more than 220,000 people dead and Port-au-Prince decimated on the Haitians for making a pact with the devil to escape French rule, and a stern warning to Florida that when Disney started “Gay Days” in 1998, God would punish the state with hurricanes and possible meteor strikes.
“Leave It To Beaver” to take the blame once again! (watch for meteor strikes in a neighborhood near you soon if someone burns the meat loaf!)
After noticing that this article got first page result listing on Google for the search “Minister Pat Robertson” and was getting a lot of clicks, we decided to expand coverage of the Reverend Roberston with an example of other really strange things he has said over the years. Here Goes the TOP 10 list, originally compiled on About.com:
10. “Lord, give us righteous judges who will not try to legislate and dominate this society. Take control, Lord! We ask for additional vacancies on the court.” –Pat Robertson
9. “Just like what Nazi Germany did to the Jews, so liberal America is now doing to the evangelical Christians. It’s no different. It is the same thing. It is happening all over again. It is the Democratic Congress, the liberal-based media and the homosexuals who want to destroy the Christians. Wholesale abuse and discrimination and the worst bigotry directed toward any group in America today. More terrible than anything suffered by any minority in history.” –Pat Robertson
8. “I would warn Orlando that you’re right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don’t think I’d be waving those flags in God’s face if I were you, This is not a message of hate — this is a message of redemption. But a condition like this will bring about the destruction of your nation. It’ll bring about terrorist bombs; it’ll bring earthquakes, tornadoes, and possibly a meteor.” –Pat Robertson, on “gay days” at Disneyworld –Pat Robertson
7. “(T)he feminist agenda is not about equal rights for women. It is about a socialist, anti-family political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.” –Pat Robertson
6. “I know this is painful for the ladies to hear, but if you get married, you have accepted the headship of a man, your husband. Christ is the head of the household and the husband is the head of the wife, and that’s the way it is, period.” –Pat Robertson
5. “God considers this land to be his. You read the Bible and he says ‘This is my land,’ and for any prime minister of Israel who decides he is going to carve it up and give it away, God says, ‘No, this is mine.’ … He was dividing God’s land. And I would say, ‘Woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course to appease the E.U., the United Nations, or the United States of America.’ God says, ‘This land belongs to me. You better leave it alone.'” –Pat Robertson, on why Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon suffered a massive stroke
4. “Maybe we need a very small nuke thrown off on Foggy Bottom to shake things up” –Pat Robertson, on nuking the State Department
3. “You know, I don’t know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we’re trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it. It’s a whole lot cheaper than starting a war … We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don’t need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It’s a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with.” –Pat Robertson, calling for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez
2. “It may be a blessing in disguise. … Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it. Haitians were originally under the heel of the French. You know, Napoleon the third, or whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, we will serve you if you will get us free from the French. True story. And so, the devil said, okay it’s a deal. Ever since they have been cursed by one thing after the other.” –Pat Robertson, on the earthquake in Haiti that destroyed the capital and killed tens of thousands of people, Jan. 13, 2010
1. “Like it or not, males have a tendency to wander a little bit. What you want to do is make a home so wonderful that he doesn’t want to wander.” –Pat Robertson, giving advice on “The 700 Club” to a woman whose husband cheated on her.
List Originally Compiled on About.com
- Holly Jane Talks OnlyFans and Mormon Excommunication in New Newsweek Article - September 11, 2023
- How Right Clothing Goes Along with Adult Sex Toys? - July 12, 2023
- Brad Jones of @Meetkinksters Joins This Week’s #SexTalkTuesday - June 26, 2023